Sunday, June 15, 2008

False Advertising

I tried to post this earlier today, but apparently MySpace had a bad case of hiccups.

I was sitting here, keeping my grandchild company while watching the "Sprout" cable channel - you know, all kid programming, all the time?Anyway, it gradually sinks into my consciousness that there, on my TV screen, is a purple T. Rex dancing around a bunch of preschool-aged children, exhorting the benefits of eating plenty of fruits and vegetables.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but would it be over-the-top to suspect Barney's motives? I mean, after all, T. Rex was the top carnivore of his day, and was used to dining on much larger prey, but do you really think he would pass up the opportunity to snack on a dozen or so small, bipedal mammals? And the only reason I can see for him being concerned about their nutrition, is that it makes them grow a little faster, to become a more satisfying munch.

Sorry, I don't buy the premise that Barney is just a harmless, beneficent holdover from an earlier age. I believe that he's the front man for a nefarious plot, designed to make both children and parents comfortable with the idea of allowing their children to mingle freely with predators.

And predators, let me remind you, are really only concerned with their appetites, not with the future well-being of those small, bipedal mammals.

Just sayin'.

Mariner

No comments:

Post a Comment